View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
JoeS475
Winter Sucks...

Zone: 6-7
Name: Joe
BananaBucks : 100,138
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Cavenshaw/Cavendish? ID help! Now With Pics

Question for the experts:

Last fall I purchased a small "Cavenshaw" banana while in the Florida Keys. I always assumed it was a dwarf cavendish. The parent rotted and died due to a number of factors I've since corrected. It had a baby which has lived on and thrived. It grew indoors slowly all winter and has really taken off this summer.

Here's the thing: all my dwarf cavendishes are taller with a narrower stem and slightly smaller leaves. for example one is 30" tall with a biggest leaf of 25" long. Also I can get my hand all the way around the stem.

The plant from Florida on the other hand is 24" tall with a biggest leaf of 31" long. Its trunk is getting so thick I can only get my hand a little more than half way around. The leaves up until recently had red splotches which cavendishes have.

Is there such a thing as a Cavenshaw banana? My guess is no, but there's a lot of types out there.

Could this just be an individual d.c., or could it be a giant cavendish? It will have to be overwintered in Sept/Oct so it won't have a chance to get really tall or anything like that sadly.

Regards,

~Joe

Last edited by JoeS475 : 07-10-2006 at 02:21 PM. Reason: updated info
JoeS475 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To JoeS475

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors