View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
sunsetsammy

BananaBucks : 46,399
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 38 Times in 17 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Growing Temperatures for different types of bananas??

No responses.

Hmmm... maybe I'm blacklisted. Hope I didn't upset anyone?? Or maybe I'm just asking dumb questions....

Anyhow I've been experimenting with my own plants and keeping track of temps and measuring new growth. I don't know if anyone would be interested in this stuff. Maybe some of the people who live in colder places who can't wait for summer like me.

*Note: All plants dug up, trimmed, and stored bareroot over the winter. I realize Basjoo and Lasiocarpa are hardy enough for my area but my backyard turns into a swamp come winter time and I don't want to risk losing these guys. I recently potted these plants (3 weeks ago) and I've placed them in the sunniest part of my property during the day. Spring is coming late in my area and night time temps have been quite cool still (We've had a couple nights of 0C). I've been pulling the ensete and lasiocarpa inside the shed at night or on cold days. Paranoid I guess.

So far.....

1. Basjoo (10 plants)
-Week 1: Temps 8-12C very little growth over the week. Almost immeasurable with a tape measure. Maybe 1 inch on a couple plants.
-Week 2: Temps 8-13C slow growth maybe between 1-3 inches average.
-Week 3: Temps 10-16C noticeable growth which I can see even without measuring. Approx. 2-5 inches.

2. Ensete Maurelli (3 plants)
-Week 1: Temps 8-12C no noticeable growth.
-Week 2: Temps 8-13C no noticeable growth.
-Week 3: Temps 10-16C no noticeable growth until last day. On the last day 2 out of 3 plants seem to have pushed out approximately 2-3 inches in about 8 hours. Wow they woke up!

3. Musella Lasiocarpa (1 plant)
-Week 1: Temps 8-12C no noticeable growth
-Week 2: Temps 8-13C no noticeable growth
-Week 3: Temps 10-16C no noticeable growth

Anyhow I'll keep this up for a few more weeks.

P.S. Yes I know I'm weird. Its not like I'm bored either. I have way too much to do.

Cheers

Sam
sunsetsammy is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sunsetsammy