View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
wxman

Zone: 5
Name: Tim
BananaBucks : 98,295
Said "Thanks" 12 Times
Was Thanked 186 Times in 60 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Making a greenhouse around bananas?

What are your ideas on this:

I have some baby musa basjoo's that I planted. All their existing leaves got sunburned and they are wilting off. Temperatures are supposed to be in the 50s for highs for the foreseeable future here after tomorrow. Ugh, spring in Wisconsin sucks sometimes. I was thinking of taking a gallon milk jug and cutting the bottom off to make a "greenhouse" and put it over each plant on sunny days to make a warm microclimate to encourage them to start putting out leaves. A few plants are down to just stems with a really tiny baby leaf emerging. I want to speed this up as much as possible so I can get some decent sized plants this summer. I'm thinking this milk jug idea will boost temperatures into the 70s or 80s inside the enclosure even though its only in the 50s outside.
wxman is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To wxman

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors