View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banana Mike

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 11,970
Said "Thanks" 4 Times
Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Level 10 Propagation Questions...

I've been doing a lot of research on the internet on propagation and coming up with a whole lot of nothing. Or at least nothing solid. What I'm interested in doing is coming up with methods to increase the rate of propagation for my banana plants that go beyond harvesting pups and short of micro culture.

In my case, I'm not too worried about harvesting the bananas this year, what I want to do is increase the number of plants I have. I'd like more plants to fill out empty spots in my yard as well as to be able to trade for varieties I do not have.

ANyways, prior to micro culture, plantation owners, developing countries and gardeners relied on certain techniques to grow more plants and not have to wait for single pups to emerge for transplantation.

Here are a couple of things I've found, that are far from "solid", that I wonder if anyone has any experience with.

1. Harvesting a pup, cutting off it's leaves, cutting in into 2-4 pieces and burying it lengthwise. SOunds wacky to me. But from other sources, I've heard that with puts, they can root with neither corm or rooting hormone.

5 days ago I did a real hatchet job, by accident, on a pup I transplanted. Absolutely no corm. I stuck it in the ground and it appears to still be doing okay. I guess I'll know in a week or two if there is any truth to this cormless-pup thing. I should have cut the leaves off.

2. Corm division. I've heard of a number of ways to divide a corm. Dividing among the eyes obviously makes sense. But others seem to indicate that cutting it up in anyway will produce a new plant for each bit.

3. Read where one guy got a tree to grow from a leaf rooting. I assume this would have to have come off of a pup. He had a leaf that floated on top of his aquarium and it grew roots...

4. Here's the weirdest one. Heard a guy took a banana, and put three pin-holes in it lengthwise. Inside each pin-hole, he inserted a leaf cutting. Once the banana turned brown, he divided it into three and planted each section.

Sounds wacky to me, but hey, I've seen way wackier stuff on Letterman!

ANyways, I certainly would be happy if any experts might add some comments, thoughts here. I think this is a topic that may be of value to a number of people on this board.

Either way,,,

Happy Bananaing!
Banana Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Banana Mike

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors