View Single Post
Old 12-13-2022, 10:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
beam2050
banana cereal killer

Zone: 9b-8a
Name: walkinbeam
BananaBucks : 807
Said "Thanks" 10,623 Times
Was Thanked 3,347 Times in 1,542 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 815 Times
Default Re: Anyone dry store any AAA type varieties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexmp76 View Post
If you've still got good temps over there I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have most of mine in the garage over winter and let them go dormant until the spring. We've been mostly in high 50's during the day and mid to high 30's at night. This is my first year trying out the wrapping. The past few years I have done the cages with leaves and the corms have always come back but I lost all of the pstem. I'm hoping the wrapping preserves the pstem or at least a good portion so I don't have to start over in the spring. What I did was fold the leaves back towards the pstem for protection then wrap them. I didn't wrap them to the ground to give them some air flow. As I've been looking it looks like it's been trapping a good amount of moisture in there like a greenhouse effect. We'll see how everything works out.

Storing them in the garage or basement has definitely been the safer method. I'm doing some experiments this year to see if I can get some to fruit earlier next year by preserving more of the pstem. It sounds like you have a pretty good setup in your garage that should work for you. I haven't tried lights on the larger ones in the garage over the winter before so I would be curious to see how that works out over the course of the winter for you. I'll try to report in the spring how these did.
if that doesn't work this year, next year try shrink wrapping the chicken wire....just a thought.

npk of wood ash 0/1/3 to 0/3/7

npk of banana leaf ash 1.75/0.75/0.5
beam2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To beam2050
Said thanks: