View Single Post
Old 12-05-2022, 11:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
TheVeggieProfessor

BananaBucks : 10,484
Said "Thanks" 8 Times
Was Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Bunchy top paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
The other strong possibility I forgot to mention is herbicide damage. Have you or a neighbor potentially applied any herbicides near the plants within the last few months? I've had glyphosate drift damage bananas similarly before. Some herbicides such as dicamba are known to be highly volatile under certain conditions and can sometimes drift quite far from their original target and easily damage plants elsewhere.

No, it's mostly spread to bananas by aphids, it potentially could be spread mechanically if you cut into an infected plant with a tool and then cut a healthy plant, but less likely, and highly highly unlikely to be spread by mulch. But based on what you've described I'm leaning toward the herbicide drift possibility.
This is highly likely. The bananas were planted along a hedge and my neighbors on the other side are highly likely to have been spraying herbicides. They have a pyrythrum (sp?) spray marketed as mosquito repellent that sprays 3 times per day for 45 seconds. It really gets my goat...
TheVeggieProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To TheVeggieProfessor
Said thanks: