View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
beam2050
banana cereal killer

Zone: 9b-8a
Name: walkinbeam
BananaBucks : 807
Said "Thanks" 10,623 Times
Was Thanked 3,347 Times in 1,542 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 815 Times
Default Re: can you give a banana to much potassium

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownz281 View Post
I have always wondered on the mulch thing. I mulch heavy here in my zone 8a. I do 4-6” I would guess as I just throw it on and eye it. After a few rains/winds it shrinks alittle. Anyone I have asked never had an exact yes or no on whether mulch and such robbed fertilizer from the bananas. We know one thing that the mulch has good stuff in it as well. A friend of mine Tony Avent from Plantdelights has never fertilized his banana mats but has used free compost from the city since 1987 till present. All his mats grow huge with that and irrigation in zone 7b microclimate in a valley.
that was not a yes or a no, sorry. this was an observation from my perspective of my banans growing in my soil, weather. etc.

at one time i was growing about 85 mats of bananas, not seperating, just letting them go.

many years ago i had a place that had near 100 orinocos growing somebody else planted. it was well draining but, when you walked among the bananas it was muddy and i ate fruit every year not doing anything to them. it took a real tall ladder to reach the fruit. now this place is about 25 miles from there, an orinoco only gets 3 ft. high but other varieties do well.

npk of wood ash 0/1/3 to 0/3/7

npk of banana leaf ash 1.75/0.75/0.5

Last edited by beam2050 : 11-29-2022 at 12:02 PM.
beam2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To beam2050
Said thanks: