View Single Post
Old 10-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kittishka

Zone: 7a
Name: Becky
BananaBucks : 1,184
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Cold Hello from a new member :)

Hi!

We are trying to homestead in Middle TN, but we rent currently, so for now we just grow things in pots and have laying hens. We got our first banana pups in the spring of '21 from a nursery in FL (Kokopo and Dwarf Namwah), planted them in 3g pots and overwintered them and the couple pups we had split off in our shed. They were near a south-facing window and inside a clear plastic "greenhouse" with a no-freeze heater. The Kokopos did not survive, so we continued on in the spring with the DNs, which are apparently more hardy.

We started with the remaining 2 DN and now have 7 potted up separately, some of which are a pretty good size and one of which is only a foot tall. One of the original two already has two more pups poking their little tips out of the dirt. This year, in an attempt to actually have fruit next year (we haven't seen a flower yet because they were still fairly small when overwintered and lost their leaves too), we just brought them into the house for the winter. Also in the house are 3 grapefruit seedlings that I started in the spring from fruit I bought at the store. I tried to start lemons too, but the seeds rotted. Oh well—I'll try again next year.

Looking at the map, I see there are other members nearby, so maybe we'll make some banana friends.
The following 11 users say welcome Kittishka to Bananas.org!
all43 (10-26-2022), beam2050 (10-27-2022), cincinnana (11-06-2022), crazy banana (01-04-2023), Iowa (10-28-2022), Janelle525 (10-27-2022), kubali (03-28-2023), longranger (10-28-2022), MediaHound (04-11-2023), momoese (10-28-2022), PR-Giants (10-26-2022)

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors