View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
wisconsinbananas

Zone: 5
BananaBucks : 4,445
Said "Thanks" 20 Times
Was Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default ANOTHER shriveling flower! What gives??

So I've had two banana flowers emerge, appear to get stuck, shrivel, and rot, all in the last 3 months. Now my THIRD banana has shot up a flower and that one is also sticking in the opening and showing signs of rot. Up until then all 3 have looked perfectly healthy. No obvious rot, not black streaks, no spots, no holes. Two are truly tiny cavendish type, the most recent is a dwarf cavendish. I have them direct-planted in the ground, consisting of about 1 1/2 feet worth of compost and potting soil, with good old wisconsin glacial till further down. They are kept in a greenhouse at 60F minimum (with several grow lights for the shorter light season), and the vents open at 85F. And i've had them for 4 years without issues and gotten several nice clumps of bananas. I give them an occasional scoop of chicken poop for fertilizer. I have no idea what could be wrong.
wisconsinbananas is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To wisconsinbananas
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors