View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
peterentwistle

Zone: 8b/9a
Name: Peter
BananaBucks : 2,866
Said "Thanks" 95 Times
Was Thanked 53 Times in 22 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 26 Times
Default Re: Top 5 cold hardy Bananas that produce fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbennett93 View Post
What are people's top 5 fruiting cold hardy banana varieties?

I'm also looking for pups / seeds so if anyone here can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks,
Tom
It's quite hard to source edible cultivars here in the UK, even more so after Brexit since importing from the EU has gotten more difficult. I did recently manage to get some from Canarius (based in Tenerife), but it's definitely a pricey option. There is a seller in the UK that was selling tissue cultured Namwahs on eBay that I recently bought from. I have been experimenting with growing a few different varieties outside both in containers and in the ground. I've found my Rajapuri and Dwarf Orinoco have done fairly well, my Manzano also seems to have done ok too, but they all grow so much slower than they would in a region that gets hot summers. My Musa basjoo is really the only banana plant that has grown at a decent rate outdoors. I'm planning to try overwintering a Dwarf Orinoco outside with protection as I do with my basjoo, the rest I'll probably dig up and bring inside for the winter.
Said thanks: