View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
twotallgirls

Zone: 10A
BananaBucks : 18,236
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 206 Times in 69 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Cut down or wait it out: salt water damage from Ian

So I thought I'd pose this question to group... while I've grown many bananas for years and put up with different growing conditions and storm recovery, this is a first for me with salt water.

Hurricane Ian surge covered our yard with 3 feet of salt water for about 12 or so hours before receding. I cut down 75% of bananas but a few seemed ready ready to bloom... Most don't have any viable leaves. Cut the stalk down or wait and see?. Any leaves left on my plants are getting yellower and yellower. A few have bunches but I harvested rather than try and fix the snapped stalks (which really weren't recoverable). I had a Gold Finger that needed another 6 weeks but couldn't hoist / stake it up myself as way too heavy....

What has been others experience with salt water and what worked to get to recovery best? Just wait it out, water extensively, cut them now to save some growing season?

Of my 15 varieties, seems Raja Puri fared the best, Super Dwarf Cav. is a total loss, Saba all snapped, and Brazilian lost all leaves in wind.

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors