View Single Post
Old 09-18-2022, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Potatonah

Zone: 9b
Name: Giuseppe
BananaBucks : 2,367
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Seeking advice on dwarf Namwah

I知 seeking advice from experienced banana growers on what I should do with my dwarf namwah. I received it in early June 2022 when the pseudo-stem was about 16 inches tall. I put it in the ground in full sun shortly after receiving it. My hope was that it would grow substantially over the course of the next 3-4 months. Grow it has, but not to the degree I expected. The p-stem is about 18-19 inches tall and not much thicker than it was when I first planted it. I understand that the plant still has a young corm and will probably grow a lot more vigorously after its first full year in the ground.

My question is this: what should I do to protect my plant during the winter? I live in Tampa, FL zone 9b. I知 confident the corm would survive if I did nothing, considering the Namwah is decently cold-hardy. I知 also pretty sure that a Namwah with a thick p-stem would have no problems surviving a typically winter in my zone. But because the p-stem is still pretty small, I知 afraid that I値l lose it to a freeze and have to start over from the ground again in the spring. The plant is still small enough where I could dig it up and put in a pot to keep indoors over the winter. Alternatively I could leave it in the ground and insulate it with hay/straw/frost cloth or other means of trapping heat and shielding it from cold winds.

What would you do in my situation?
Potatonah is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Potatonah
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors