View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Truthmatters

Zone: 8
Name: Truthmatters
BananaBucks : 2,616
Said "Thanks" 11 Times
Was Thanked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Ice cream bananna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdoofus View Post
Conundrum - I am sorry to say I don't have an answer for you, but I am very interested in what you learn from this process so please keep us posted.
My plan is this: As you see in my pictures I have corn growing. I plan on using the leaves as mulch at the bottom for which to place the culvert tubes on. What's really nice about these tubes as you can see from the last picture is they are lined on the inside which is bonded to the ribs with the exception of 2 small round opening that run the entire length and exit out the other end. I plan on cutting this culvert tube at 6' and sealing the bottom at the exit holes and all around with Flex-seal. I can now wrap the pstem with bubble wrap and put the Christmas lights in position. I will put the first 6' section over the top of the tree with leaves intact and bring it down to the ground. With that in place I can fill it up to about 4' in height with water thru the small opening to give it a good solid weighted bottom (maybe 200lbs). At the top of this section bolting 3 vertical stanchions to the inside for the second half to slip down to meet up with the bottom half. At this point the entire plant will be totally inside the culvert pipe. This will allow my to periodically check temps at ground level and by drilling a small hole above the water level into the side of the pipe/tube I'll be able to monitor internal temps and turn on of off the lights to try to maintain a temps between 35 to 45 degrees, (theoretically).
To secure this tower I plan on tethering it at 3 points with 150lb stainless steel cable used for down-riggers. With the weighted bottom, the 3 stanchions and the cable it should still be standing upright come spring. My only last 2 things to design is a 1. Cone shape top to put on top to keep it dry inside yet allow air to escape as needed, and 2. maybe a forced air vent at the bottom to blow air through it should it get too warm inside, since this pipe is black and could absorb more heat than I want inside. Come spring I'm hoping that this banana tree will continue with it's flowering and fruiting with all 5 leaves still green.
I may change the design a bit so the top section can be taken off and put back on should the need arise (early spring warm days then back to freezing).
I plan on documenting temperatures, both inside and outside as we get temp changes from start to next spring and will share my results of how it all turns out.
If anyone can think of something I haven't please chime in.
I have been using these section of culvert pipe for getting my tomato's out sooner that I could with out them. The water inside warms up and give off the heat at night, plus it raises them above ground level.
Thanks
TM

Last edited by Truthmatters : 08-21-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Truthmatters is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Truthmatters
Said thanks: