View Single Post
Old 08-19-2022, 05:59 PM   #93 (permalink)
PR-Giants
Commercial Grower

BananaBucks : 3,581
Said "Thanks" 2,900 Times
Was Thanked 12,461 Times in 3,620 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3,204 Times
Default Re: Seeds From Blue Java Ice Cream Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexmp76 View Post
This thread came in very handy at just the right time. I had a few newer plants struggling and ended up getting some horticultural sand after cleaning them up. So far they have all recovered nicely. The sand was a bit pricey but helped give me an idea of approximately how large the grains I should look for in a possible cheaper alternative in the future. I just wanted to thank you for the great info.
Thanks for adding to the thread.

Many people won't use sand because they think it doesn't hold much moisture. A good way of understanding how much moisture it holds would be to weigh a pot of dry sand and then weigh it wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post
I would never buy a specific size sand because I prefer buying two screens. One screen that's the correct size and one that's one size below that. This allows me to remove any grains above and below the grain size I want.

Anything that has Horticultural in it's name is probably going to be expensive.
The most important thing to keep in mind when choosing a grain size range is that the smallest grain size in the range determines the aeration not the largest. Kinda like a chain where the weakest link determines it's overall strength.

That's the main reason why I wouldn't recommend any of the concrete sands, they have a large grain size range. Screening concrete sand would work if it contains enough of the desired size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
I have had good results using Quickcrete Sand from Lowes which is pretty cheap. Not sure about the grain size.

PR-Giants Photo Gallery

15,000+ Varieties

PR-Giants is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To PR-Giants
Said thanks: