View Single Post
Old 08-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #92 (permalink)
nexmp76

Zone: 8a
BananaBucks : 2,788
Said "Thanks" 6 Times
Was Thanked 48 Times in 22 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: Seeds From Blue Java Ice Cream Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post
Substrate aeration is the most important part of a healthy plant and that's my main focus.

Figuring out a good substrate starts with determining what the plant does best in.

Because a banana plant has two distinct underground parts, the rhizome and the roots, should they be treated the same and if so which one should get preferential treatment. If not then what's an efficient way of giving both what they individually prefer.

Another way of looking at the balance of aeration and moisture in a substrate is which is easier to add or harder to remove as a plant becomes more established. Adding moisture is simple and lowering aeration is also very simple.

In the past I've tried explaining what I do but the problem with that is many hobbyist will substitute things without understanding how things function. There are hobbyists that don't understand the difference between BBQ charcoal and horticultural charcoal or pool filter sand and horticultural sand. When I saw members mixing pool filter sand with perlite it was clear I was wasting my time.

This thread came in very handy at just the right time. I had a few newer plants struggling and ended up getting some horticultural sand after cleaning them up. So far they have all recovered nicely. The sand was a bit pricey but helped give me an idea of approximately how large the grains I should look for in a possible cheaper alternative in the future. I just wanted to thank you for the great info.
nexmp76 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nexmp76
Said thanks: