View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 07:45 PM   #91 (permalink)
PR-Giants
Commercial Grower

BananaBucks : 2,264
Said "Thanks" 2,850 Times
Was Thanked 11,964 Times in 3,464 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,942 Times
Default Re: Seeds From Blue Java Ice Cream Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post
The a'ea'a is the banana I spent the most time studying so it's great getting information from others.

Two important questions.

How often do you examine the rhizomes and what's the rot rate to growth rate?
We are all a product of our experiences and my initial a'ea'e experience was probably much worse than most other growers. Starting with mostly slime didn't allow me much time for learning, it was either sink or swim.

The rhizome of every a'ea'e will rot and most growers will consider a growth rate faster than a rot rate a success.

When I was learning I read every post I could find about killing a'ea'e and this post always stayed in my mind.

He's one of the most accomplished grower on the forum and unfortunately he failed. The a'ea'e is a sensitive plant and most members fail before figuring out an acceptable substrate. Most a'ea'e growers think their choice of substrate works well until it doesn't and that's why getting advice on this forum rarely works out well. By routinely examining the rhizomes I was able to compare rot rates in different substrates to determine which worked best for me.

I'm posting his quotes because they were helpful to me and maybe they'll help other members.

It might appear to happen overnight but the rhizome rots over the lifespan of the plant and the croaking happens when it finally spreads to the growing point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitangadiego View Post

I've had AeAe and it is the only full grown banana I've had that just up and croaked overnight.

My 2 cents.
Musa aeae potting mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitangadiego View Post
100% compost.

PR-Giants Photo Gallery

15,000+ Varieties

Last edited by PR-Giants : 08-16-2022 at 08:08 PM.
PR-Giants is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To PR-Giants
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors