View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
crab

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 470
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Banana trees keep dying

I planted three banana trees in my yard a few months ago. One is doing great. It has lots of great big leaves and towers over me. The other two have been disappointing. They both follow the same pattern:

1. Start as a pup, grow vigorously
2. Grow to about 1.5-2' tall
3. Leaves fold at midrib (like they do when it's very hot)
4. Leaves yellow and bend at midrib
5. Growth stops completely

Zone: 9b
Species: Dwarf Cavendish
Fert: 0.5lb 10-10-10 once a month
Water: ~2 gallons a day. Our soil is very sandy and it has been unusually dry this year.
Sun: The healthy palm gets full sun half of the day. The other two are in full sun all day.

I thought maybe they were getting too much sun, but people online say bananas love sun. Perhaps they are getting too hot?

Should I just give up on trying to grow banana trees in full Florida summer sun?

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/OsVh40l
These pictures were taken this morning. Temp was about 80F, Humidity ~75%. Normally if the leaves fold, it is in the afternoon when the heat and sun are very oppressive, not in the morning.
crab is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To crab

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors