View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 01:54 PM   #60 (permalink)
sashaeffer

Zone: 5-6
Name: Scott
BananaBucks : 24,944
Said "Thanks" 103 Times
Was Thanked 98 Times in 50 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 6 Times
Default Re: Mekong Giant vs Basjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
Thanks Ty for the encouraging update.

I am on the first year of the Mekong which is said to be a cold hardy plant similar to a Basjoo in a heavily mulched situation in colder zones.

I picked up two plants a few months ago to see .....the Giant..... and to see what it does in zone5/6.

My plants (mekongs)will in containers for the first season(now) because the plants did not "fill the containers with roots" as I had liked in the two months that I had them.

The plants will be under cfl's for the winter in a grow area along with other plants.......nothing pro grade.

I am thinking I will have aggressive growth ( lots of runners) just like the Basjoos next year.

Here is a photo of 120 -+ day old Basjoos grown in part sun from pups separated from plant stock in the yard.
I said PART SUN....that means more shade than sun.

Mekong giants are in the forefront in containers....ready for the challenge.....if there is one.

The comparison should be fun to watch...

Mekong pups and Basjoo

by
Hostafarian
on Flickr

These are the same Musa Basjoo plants 150 days ago..April 15.

Ferns are Matteuccia struthiopteris, The King.

This fern is an awesome aggressive plant, I had to trim the 4-5 foot fronds back to allow more light to the banana plants at one point. The plant is an awesome filler plant
Basjoos springtime by Hostafarian, on Flickr

Small pups April 15th

by
Hostafarian
on Flickr

Question. If bananas love full sun and these ferns prefer full shade or partial sun, how do they both survive and look so good together? It truly looks great.

Scott/Omaha
sashaeffer is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sashaeffer