View Single Post
Old 04-15-2022, 06:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 613
Said "Thanks" 3,865 Times
Was Thanked 11,705 Times in 4,870 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Default Re: deep burying a corm 3-5 ft under ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstamendment View Post
I am going to try to start growing some "cold" hardy bananas in zone 5. A musa basjoo, and a blue java/ice cream banana. They are supposedly in the mail on their way here. I expect the Musa Basjoo to survive with a little maintenance, and the blue java will require a lot.

For my first year with the blue java, I think I will try the traditional "dry storage method" to over winter the banana. For any pups that develop thereafter, I might do an experiment....although experimenting may not be necessary if someone else has done it and can report back their observations.

Supposedly underground, even just a few feet, it is supposed to stay warm even during the winter months. see https://lisbdnet.com/what-is-the-tem...%20the%20south.

Hence, I think [and I could be wrong] the a cold hardy corm by itself might be able to survive a brutal winter if it was planted some 3-5 feet under ground [and gradually covered up as the psuedostem grows prior to the winter]. However during the winter months, there is still the issue of the [stem] making its way from the corm to the surface.

Can the [stem] be cut under the ground, or can it just be buried?
Or should layers upon layers of mulch be placed on it, or is that not enough to protect the [blue java] corm?
Will the corm still signal for the [stem] to grow in either case?
Will the temperatures at that depth be low for the corm to signal the [stem] to grow at an appropriate time?...will I have to effectively remove some of the dirt for it to grow again.
Will the corm have enough nutrients to survive the winter?

Will a deeply planted banana plant still shoot out new pups to the surface?

Thx
Quick answer.....no.

The concept sounds good on paper though.
Some forum members have dug a large deep glass covered pits and planted in the bottom to take advantage the natural warmth.

Basjoos planted at normal depth or slightly deeper you will have no issues.
Over time mature basjoo will even raise a bit from the original planting depth.

Blue Java is a total tropical and wont tolerate the lower temps for 8 months.

Heck, give it a try and if the results are consistent over time

Last edited by cincinnana : 04-15-2022 at 07:21 AM.
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Said thanks: