View Single Post
Old 02-16-2022, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
kellbrad

Zone: 8A
Name: KELLY
BananaBucks : 5,569
Said "Thanks" 57 Times
Was Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: I'm seeking counseling...My banana is no longer with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
Sounds like too much water. Does the pot drain well? This time of year it is best to let it dry out between watering, they will grow slowly or go dormant for the winter. The corm may put out some pups for you, make sure it drains well and dries out between watering.
It had wet dirt like compacted all around the "mat" (is that the term?) Anyway, it was impossible to get all that off without totally abusing the roots, so I put peat moss around it mixed with some dry cactus soil to try to suck up that water. I thought I had a brilliant idea of using one of those terracotta spikes and a wine bottle bc I figured, and it seemed like it was getting water periodically as it needed it. I also think the roots were out of room, does this typically happen in containers? Mine was 22"wide and I mean, this thing THRIVED in the SC summer humidity. I watered daily and at it's best point it had 12 beautiful leaves. It was pushing out leaves even in the garage, and it was so sudden, I first noticed the cigar leaf not fully coming out and unrolling and then the one behind it was blocked and turned pale yellow
kellbrad is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To kellbrad