View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
jinjos

BananaBucks : 7,063
Said "Thanks" 5 Times
Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Over wintering in sand or bare root?

Hello to everyone on this good forum

I'm living in Europe near Black sea beach and trying to grow up some banana plants from Thailand. Some of them are in pots and others in ground already. The biggest one I have (around 2.5m) is in the ground. So I want to over winter them in the basement (a bunker with thick walls from WWII with 50-60F all year round).

My question is - what can be better for them in this case:

1. Save them bare root same here - Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

2. Save them in wet or dry sand (same I read here - https://pallensmith.com/2014/05/09/w...-banana-trees/)

If 1 - do I need to cover them with something or put them in any box?

We can have as low as -10(C) for a few days per year, so it will be hard to store them in the ground I think.

Thanks to everyone who can respond to me!
jinjos is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jinjos
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors