Thread: La Niņa winter
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Art_R

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 11,920
Said "Thanks" 185 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 72 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 17 Times
Default Re: La Niņa winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memawtaterpie View Post
Hello fellow banana growers. Beginner banana grower and first time poster on the forum. I am loving the enthusiasm and inspiring photos on the board!

It looks like the meteorologists have declared a la Niņa weather pattern, so I am expecting a warmer and dryer winter than normal here in the southeast (zone 9). I have a pitupi TC and orinoco sword pup in the ground since summer. The Pitupi has been growing pretty slow but the orinico has really taken off, putting out a new leaf every 5-6 days. I am opting for a "let it ride" strategy of doing nothing for frost protection other than generously mulching around the base of the plants. I'm going this route because I want to see what the worst case scenario could be in terms of frost damage with minimal effort.

...but as insurance I also have a double mahoi pup that I have decided to leave in a good sized pot until Spring. That way if the temps dip too low I can bring it inside and place it next to a south-facing window. I was thinking of doing this when the lows get in the 40s?

Would love feedback from anyone in a similar climate. Otherwise I will update as things develop
Welcome to the Banana Bunch !!! I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I'm in Ormond Beach (9b) on the other coast of FL. The past three years we haven't had a freeze here in Ormond Beach and all of my bananas have done just fine without any cold protection effort on my part. This spring, I planted a patupi and it just flowered in the beginning of October. Given the la Niņa prediction, I am going to roll the dice and take the same "let it ride" approach. We'll see what happens.