View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 11:39 PM   #581 (permalink)
sirdoofus

Zone: AgCan 7b, USDA 6b
Name: Mike
BananaBucks : 16,393
Said "Thanks" 3,129 Times
Was Thanked 1,157 Times in 592 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 98 Times
Default Re: Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

So I was out of town for a few days during which we had a bit of a frost, and I came back to this:

My two dwarf (super dwarf?) somethings - the two black plants in the foreground - and my Dwarf Orinoco - back left in front of the turquoise adirondacks

I don't really know what the low temp or for how long was but I think it unlikely it was below 0C - this morning the low was 1C and the windsheilds were icy

Close up of the Dwarf Orinoco

Not cold enough to damage all of the leaves and the p-stems were fine on all plants, so I buried them in big mulch piles (fir bark) and covered them with plastic sheets to keep them dry.

And Helen's Hybrid, which definitely fared better but still suffered some damage..... I haven't mulched it yet

And 3 of the 4 Dwarf Orinocos on their way into the garage from the greenhouse. There was some damage on the upper leaf on the plant to the right.....it happened to be up against the side of the greenhouse

My Basjoo suffered slight damage, but as expected it fared the best of all the outdoor plants - I'll post a pic tomorrow for comparison.