View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Latherdome

BananaBucks : 1,678
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Mail Naive starter questions

Hi all, this is my first post. A week ago bananas weren't on my mind, and I had no idea this site existed. I am a very unlikely banana grower. I have small basement living quarters in a larger shared house. I propose to make my quarters more pleasant with very large lush houseplants, and my winter blues more tolerable with the spill light from the necessary grow lights for the plants.

I love the look of banana plants, more than similar cannas, birds of paradise, etc. If it's possible to get fruit, so much the better. Right now my main concern is whether it's possible to keep dwarf banana plants healthy year-round with negligible natural light. And 6.5' ceilings only.

I've bought one of these lamps to determine first whether the light is pleasant: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_o00_s00. If yes, then to see whether I can grow, say, a Veinte Cohol under it in a 15-gallon grow bag.

Temperatures down here are stable around 68F, RH not far off 50%, with help of a humidifier in the heating season (Oregon, zone 8). I can commit to the work of watering, fertilizing, trimming, monitoring soil chemistry etc.

Obviously I have lots to learn yet. But can anybody tell me if I'm completely delusional, before I invest in everything necessary for the attempt? If not Veinte Cohol, should I give up on edible fruit and select some extra-dwarf ornamental sort? Will the lack of real sunlight help assure that I don't get too big a tree in here?
Latherdome is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Latherdome

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors