View Single Post
Old 08-28-2021, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
crusader657

BananaBucks : 5,691
Said "Thanks" 28 Times
Was Thanked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: minimum temp for overwintering in a pot?

Ooops, forgot to mention that as she is in her second trimester with a little baby on the way, I'd avoid pandering to your DM's requests for gallons of water that it probably won't need or use indoors. SHE (I'd not looked...eh-hem.. 'downstairs' before and thought it was a 'he'!) will be telling you that a huge watering is needed, but without heat it would likely cause stress including the death of the bottom-most roots in the pot. I'm probably preaching to the converted here, but who knows, it may just help keep that saucy-looking little minx as happy as possible this coming winter. The drainage should be pretty free-flowing too. My limited experience is borne of the mindless murder of way too many of these gorgeous scallywags with kindness and scratching my head to pieces each spring as they only then decided to finally die. If you saw the good-sized Orinoco, the mouthwatering Zebria and the stout, sentry-like Saba I murdered a couple of winters back you'd doubtless call the police, and quite justifiably too. Nowadays as Autumn rears its inevitable head I give a light high potassium final feed with around half a gallon of water, then stop feeding completely, and the same for any further watering and pampering, sit the potted plant in a bright room and just look in on them once every few days to ensure they aren't squabbling on self-harming. If you use a moisture meter and like to check the roots aren't too wet it can pay to make strategic holes right at the bottom, around 5" up from the base, and another 10" up. You probably know how comforting it is to check her moisture level and find she isn't wet enough to get root rot and cause you sleepless nights. Wishing you all the best getting her through the winter months. As with Zalin124 above, the basement sounds ideal. Don't forget, wherever these are grown commercially may well have a fair few chilly nights, and could possibly need a 'chilling' period of a few weeks in order to produce tasty fruit.
crusader657 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To crusader657
Said thanks:
Sponsors