View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
joecm3

BananaBucks : 1,093
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Planted a Basjoo Banana three weeks ago leaves browning

Hi all,

New to the bananas forum! I just planted a 14" Basjoo banana plant 3 weeks ago from fastgrowingtrees site. Planted on the ground 3 weeks ago but have not been able to get it to grow much taller.

banana 3.jpeg

New leaves are coming out, but at the same time leaves have been starting to brown up and wither (see attached photos). I thought there wasn't enough water.

banana - leaves 0.jpeg

I added some good amount of water but the next day another stem flopped (see the stem on the right, there are some white spots on the stem).

banana - leaves.jpeg

There's a big tree nearby so there's some shade over the banana plant but in the late afternoon it'd get 2-3 good hours of full sun.

It's N CA here temperature goes up to 82-88F in the day and drops to 60F in the early morning around 5am. It's a bit dry around here 36-52% humidity and 10-15mph wind speed.

Because of the drier local weather, I placed weed block immediately around the banana plant over the mulch to help hold the moisture around the topsoil.

Anything I did wrong here? Too little or too much water? Too little sun? Plant disease?

Thanks much for help.

Last edited by joecm3 : 08-10-2021 at 11:33 PM.
joecm3 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To joecm3
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors