View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Snarkie
The Cat Whisperer

Zone: 8b, pushing 9a
Name: D.A. Hänks
BananaBucks : 109,173
Said "Thanks" 1,208 Times
Was Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,126 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,052 Times
Question To sift or not to sift; small stones okay?

Okay, so I just discovered a gold mine of leaf mold in front of the shop. Problem is that at some point, my idiot next door neighbor tossed a bunch of gravel in there while doing yard work for my dad (one of the many reasons he's banned from doing anything else here). Why he didn't realize gravel belongs in the driveway and not the effing yard, I'll never know.

So, I started digging it out yesterday, and there is a bunch of gravel in there, as previously stated. I'm sifting it through 1/2" hardware cloth to get rid of the big rocks and roots, but smaller pieces of gravel are still getting through. Ideally, I'd prefer no stones in my mixes at all, but I'm also thinking it might help with airiness a smidgeon. Any thoughts on this? Leave as is, or get a finer mesh?

You can clearly see the amount of gravel I'm having to contend with, and the small stones left in the mix, but look at the color of this stuff! It's beautiful. So, resift it or not?

The Only Eastern Redwood Forest in America

"Nuke my 'nanners, will you?!"
Snarkie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Snarkie
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors