View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
OllieB497
Ollieb123

BananaBucks : 44,930
Said "Thanks" 69 Times
Was Thanked 195 Times in 136 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Going Bananas in Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camrus95 View Post

Hello all!

This is my first post here so apologies if this somehow ends up in the wrong forum. I thought I'd start off by showing ya'll my two Musa Basjoo's I've recently started to grow from young plug plants. The larger of the two was bought from Groupon in 2019 and the smaller one was bought last summer. Both have been kept in pots and brought into the garage over winter to keep the psuedos alive.

I bit the bullet this year and planted them in the ground so I have a few questions with regards to winter protection. The cold temperatures of Scotland's winters don't worry me too much... it's the wet wet wet winters I'm concerned about. Does anyone here have any experience of dealing with very wet cold winters? Whats the best means of protection to prevent water rot?

Both plants have been planted in pretty poor clay soil. I did dig out holes 2ft wide and 2ft deep prior to planting out and filled with good quality compost but I'm worried that it is just going to act like a bucket in winter and keep the banana roots submerged in water. Anyone else's experiences would come in real handy!

Anyway here are my pictures from this year, first picture was taken on day of planting out 15th April 2021 and then today's pictures, 12th July 2021. I've also included a picture of the hole prior to plating so you can see the top soil layer and the clay layer beneath.
i was just in Scotland! ur banana plant should be fine but should be protected in winter. good luck
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497
Said thanks: