Thread: DIY Biochar
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Snarkie
The Cat Whisperer

Zone: 8b, pushing 9a
Name: D.A. Hänks
BananaBucks : 155,399
Said "Thanks" 1,218 Times
Was Thanked 1,970 Times in 1,145 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,049 Times
Default Re: DIY Biochar

Resurrecting this thread because I now know what I'm doing, and made 5 gallons of it this year. Currently activating/charging in a plastic wheelbarrow. I bought a bag of lump charcoal (I know the difference between lump and briquettes now, LOL) as well as raking some from the fire pile and sifting the ashes, which will go into the garden later on, although I used some already.

I reduced the char down to manageable sized pieces in a frying pan with a sledge hammer. That then went into the blender in small amounts. I use the blender specifically for charcoal and eggshells. Do NOT use the kitchen blender unless you are single or wish to become so again. You might buy one at Goodwill or something to use for this. I got a new Oster at Walmart for only twenty bucks. I ended up with a 5 gallon pail of powder and pencil eraser-sized chips. If you are using stuff from the burn pile, make sure you check it for stones and nails. I did, but still got some interesting sparks every now and then.

I mixed in some sulphur, sugar and flour for an extra microbial boost, and then added five gallons of urine to activate it. For most people this might not be an efficient or even feasible method, but since I produce 2-3 gallons of the stuff a day, it works well for me. I kept adding until it was absorbed, then did it again. Now, I'm adding a gallon or so a week to replace what has evaporated or may still absorb.

Finally, keep it moist but not saturated, to mix in with your soil. Don't let it dry out, and don't seal it in an airtight container or the microbes will die off. The larger the pieces, the longer it will last, but at lower output rates. The small stuff and powder will only last a season or two but will put out like a young Madonna looking for a recording gig.

The Only Eastern Redwood Forest in America

"Nuke my 'nanners, will you?!"
Snarkie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Snarkie
Said thanks: