View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
ellenmarie
-ellen

Zone: 5a
BananaBucks : 7,767
Said "Thanks" 152 Times
Was Thanked 77 Times in 38 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Where can I get fresh ensete seeds?

Envelope is on its way! Thank you again so much.

-ellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkfarm View Post
Send self addressed, stamped envelope (bubble) to P.J. Knop, 26175 Ticonderoga Rd, Chantilly, Va, 20152 (Mark personal as this is my office and an empty envelope might be mistaken for a mistake :-) PJKFarm@gmail.com. will send a couple of ripe bananas - actually about three weeks old since harvest. I have had terrible luck germinating seeds (like 1 out of fifty when allowed to dry). When I planted straight from the banana, I have been getting better than 50%, sometimes 70% germination. This time around I have maybe 40 plants when I wanted a dozen - very upsetting as the thought of chucking good plants hurts when I have slaved for years to get the odd one here and there.
Anyway, this should give 30 or more seeds so should get some plants. Have about 20 bananas, so if anyone else wants some, same deal, self addressed stamped envelope, bubble really needed. I will be splitting the banana into three segments so will not be very thick..
Oh yes, this is E, ventricosum. If anyone has maurelli or glaucum, would appreciate those as have had zero luck with anything other than tc plants, and they outgrew my ability to handle. These plants really need to be treated as bi-annual, look great the first year, get BIG second year, and then monsters - I am trying this year to save the pstem - seems like they need some dirt and water as those I overwintered in root cellar with regular bananas did not make it (bananas did).
Speaking of survival, my supposed sikkimensis with mild winter and super protection barely (I think) made it - corm looks semi-solid and green, so am hoping, when the basjoos next to them have leaves all over, with one actually pushing a flower which was ready to pop in the fall before we chopped off leaves and piled leaf bags around them.