View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
*Dearly Depotted*

Zone: 6A
Name: Mary
BananaBucks : 98,067
Said "Thanks" 607 Times
Was Thanked 442 Times in 301 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Party Re: Can I grow edible bananas in NE Ohio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
Sure you can, just don't expect a lot of hands. I have blooms about every year, usually they are late in the season or all male, so they usually don't mature enough to eat. Orinoco's are what I have bloom for me, I have plants of several different ages. I have had them fruit their 3rd, 4th or 5th seasons, wintering them over you break their growth cycle and can never tell when they will bloom. My best luck was 2007 and 2018.

2018 4 plants bloomed.

Ate 5 Banana's, a bumper crop here.

WOW! You have totally made my day! I was feeling b/c I was figuring that more than likely I wouldn’t be able to get real bananas. When I saw your 2 messages I was so THRILLED! I am also very impressed to see your pictures of the bananas you actually grew yourself! Congratulations! Pretty cool! Okay now I know not to expect too much but hey even if I only could get 1 banana grown I’d be happy! Thanks so much for letting me know that it’s possible for me! Yay! I truly appreciate it!