View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Brahmus

Zone: 9a
Name: Matt
BananaBucks : 1,549
Said "Thanks" 9 Times
Was Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Newbie questions - planting design and types for 9a

I recently moved into a new house and I am trying to add a small banana “grove” to my yard. I just had some questions about how I plan to layout the plants and advice on where to find pups.

My first question is about the placement of my bananas. I am planning on putting them in a spot that gets sun from about 11:30a – sunset now, and as we move into summer the 11:30 time will get progressively earlier. The yard is a slight down-slope and this location is downstream from my compost bin. I was thinking that any nutrient runoff would flow into the bananas and help keep them fed. My main concern is that right now this area is exposed to a fair amount of wind. We are on the top of a hill along a street, and there is a fairly consistent breeze through the area. When it gets a little bit stormy the area gets a strong wind. We are planting hedges that will eventually buffer some of the wind, but they are too small to be any benefit yet. I am planning on dwarf cavendish, dwarf Orinoco and ice cream (dwarf if there is one) which the wiki says are all wind resistant. Please let me know if this will not work out. The picture below is what I am thinking right now. Since the cavendish is easy to find and replace (and I already have one) I am planning for it to take the brunt of the wind and spare the harder to find types. I could also build a temporary windbreak, if necessary (bamboo screen maybe?).

My second question is where to find varieties? I bought a dwarf cavendish from a local nursery, 2 double Mahoi dwarf cavendish from Baker Creek and 2 truly tiny (to be containered) from Baker Creek. I would like to get dwarf Orinoco because I really like plantains (more than sweet bananas) and blue java/ice cream because it sounds interesting. If there is a dwarf cultivar of ice cream that would be my preference.

My last question is if there are any plantain types that would do well in San Antonio, Texas (zone 9a). I have some power lines 15-20 feet overhead (offset a bit to the outside of my fence line) so I will need shorter varieties or something that wont mind if I am chopping the tops of the leaves off it regularly.

Thank you for taking the time to read all of that, and for any help you can provide.

-Matt
Brahmus is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Brahmus
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors