View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hootis47

BananaBucks : 324
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default New to bananas - 2nd season question

Last spring was our first year ever trying banana trees in our yard out by our pool. I’m not familiar with them at all, so forgive me if I can’t give specifics on exact types, but we had several mini trees in pots and one full size we planted in the ground. A couple in our pots ended up with black spots on the leaves and the original main tree ended up becoming kind of gummy and dying off, but was replaced by new shoots off of that one (I’m sure there’s something I need to learn about what was going on with that also). Our full size tree that was planted in the ground did extremely well! Started off maybe 2-3 feet in size and ended the season well over 6’ with beautiful big leaves and multiple shoots of 2’-3’ (I actually tried to transplant a couple of these, but didn’t work!). We live in northwest Louisiana (hardiness zone 8) and typically don’t have too harsh of winters, with maybe a handful of days we might get to freezing, but those days are few and far between. Of course until this year where the majority of the US froze over for multiple days! We had snow/ice on the ground for about 5-6 days with temps staying below freezing that many days, maybe a couple more. So I’m just wondering, has anyone had experience with bananas in those type weather conditions and did they come back? And in general, is there anything I need to do to encourage new growth if you think they may have survived. Thanks for any and all advice/tips you may have for these things and generally anything someone should know that’s new to bananas!
Hootis47 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Hootis47

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors