View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,718
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: fertilising bananas in winter/spring

If you live in an area subject to freezing (zones 9b and down), by the time you see a new leaf the nana plant will already be growing for 2 or 3 wees to push the leaf out through the freeze damaged part of the plant. ... I already have several some of my nana plants showing a new leaf and it is only February. .... Normally I cut off the soft freeze damaged part of the plant to speed opening of the new leafs. I may still do this even if new leaves are showing.

Today is the first time my temps has gotten into the mid 70s. The temps have been in the mid 50s to mid 60s for the past 3 or 4 weeks and a few night of frost and/or light freeze.

The point is that I plan to start fertilizing this coming month so the fertilizer has time to break down and be ready for take-up when the nanas wake-up & start growing. The Banana growing season is short and the plants need to be pushed hard at the beginning of spring if you want fruit.

I think applying fertilizer (slow release type) to the nana plants 1 or 2 weeks before your average last frost date is good ... may be a little earlier if you see signs of growth sooner.