View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
BananaCupcake

BananaBucks : 1,275
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Newbie with Struggling Abyssinian Banana

Hi everyone!

I got my hands on what I think is an Abyssinian plant that I've always wanted, and am absolutely in love with, but it's NOT loving me back. I'm really hoping to be able to turn things around for it!

So the issues right now are:
  • leaves are yellowing and turning brown and drying out from the ends inward
  • the new leaves are never fully uncurling when they unfurl - you will see that the most recent leaf even seems to have a bit of a browned/damaged spot on it when it opened, and it actually tore there when it partly unfurled??

Photos of the plant from approx. a month ago and then from today are in my member image gallery (I hope you're able to view them? Apologies, I'm new to this site!). In the newer pictures, I've trimmed off one of the lowest leaves (visible in the first picture) that had become entirely brown and dried out. The plant also came to me with the lower leaves yellowing/browning, so I at least am not entirely to blame.

Growing conditions right now:
  • Indoors (I'm hoping to keep it this way)
  • In an East facing floor to ceiling window (which seems to be fairly bright - a tradescantia zebrina plant in the same window gets a bit of "bleaching" (loss of its purple color) on its leaves, which I understand can happen in higher light?)
  • Temperature is approx 20C
  • Humidity is 45-60%
  • Still in the 7" nursery pot that I received it in
  • Watered when I feel the top inch or so of soil is dry with filtered water - I haven't fertilized it yet, and I've had it for maybe 3 months
  • I'm not sure what type of soil it's in, but it seems extremely dense - it's very hard for me to even dig my finger in below the surface, and it almost feels like I'm tearing it apart if I do? I've not been able to aerate it or break this up for fear of damaging the roots as well (but I assume a repot might be in order for a few reasons)

All suggestions for how to help this guy would be immensely appreciated! I'm really hoping to keep this indoors and have it become a big statement plant, but I'm obviously not on track for that quite yet. I think a repot is in order very soon, so specific advice on soil type or amendments would be amazing, as well as other general advice (since I have no idea what's causing all of these issues) Thanks SO much in advance!
BananaCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To BananaCupcake
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors