View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
AaronTT

Zone: 9B, 10
Name: Aaron
BananaBucks : 13,830
Said "Thanks" 232 Times
Was Thanked 334 Times in 167 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 46 Times
Default Re: Is setting fenceposts in concrete necessary in sandy soil?

Treated pine here will last 10 years, but that's about it, you will begin to replace each piece, been there done that. However, cypress posts will last 4 to 5+ times that. Problem is inflation is a mother, and you might not have the money for repairs in the future, if you choose the treated pine. None of us knows our future, or if we will have the funds.That why I now use cypress. Of course there is even better, such as black locust wood, or if you want to spend to get the best get green heart posts. Those options will outlive your children, but cypress is easier and much cheaper to get here in Florida. Some of these fencing companies take advantage of people, giving them the cheaper, treated pine, knowing full well it will only last 10 years(if your lucky), so they can get the repeat business. Some are just ignorant. I am born and raised in Florida, know the back country, been there done that and know what works and what does not. I dont know it all, but I have learned a thing or 2. Florida wood is highly prone to rot, fungus, and ants and termites. If you want to build something to last, you have to use your head and do some research and choose carefully. I am not a know it all jerk, but I do like to educate people how to build stuff to last and save you big dollars down the road.
Btw, look at the statistics on both pine, greenheart and black locust wood. The later 2 have really dense wood that is highly resistant to termites, and rot proof. It's such a strong hard wood, it would take a serious tornado to break these wood types. Pine is a really soft wood, and even treated
becomes prone to decay after just a few years, unless constantly maintained with stains and such which is a pain in the rear. Cypress is really unique because technically it's a soft wood too. However, unlike pine, it contains oils in it known for resisting rot and decay, as well as deterring termites and ants, and known for being low maintenance. Lots of science in the choices of wood and uses. What can I say, I am a cheapskate, but will spend if I can and save in the long run too. I just hate to spend money and do the work, to be stuck doing the same job 10 years later. I'd rather spend a little bit more, get the right materials and never have to do the job EVER again, unless acts of God happen lol.

Last edited by AaronTT : 11-24-2020 at 06:28 PM.
AaronTT is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To AaronTT