View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
*Dearly Depotted*

Zone: 6A
Name: Mary
BananaBucks : 98,025
Said "Thanks" 607 Times
Was Thanked 442 Times in 301 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Bananas Brindando Re: A short introduction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarkie View Post
If you do opt for a greenhouse down the road, you might look into making it subterranean. There's a guy in like a Zone 3 or something growing oranges this way. It never gets below 52F underground, and the sun shining in warms it up and of course, provides sunlight.

My garage is brick and windowless, so it would be the perfect spot for a grow op- I mean, plant room. There's some Vietnamese behind me that dug out their entire crawlspace eight feet deep and have a huge commercial growing operation under the house. The lights were so bright that I saw it leaking around the old access panel, and I could see heads moving around at ground level through those cracks. Not my typical area of focus, but I made a report and submitted it to my "friends," and they surveyed it a couple times to visually confirm everything. We thought we had a really good bust too. Turns out they use the house as a "church," and grow "medicinal herbs" underneath. We still have no idea how they got all of that dirt out of there without my seeing it done. It had to take months to dig that thing out and reinforce the footers. Only thing we can guess is they did all that work while adding a small addition, which means it had been going on for years before I happened to see it glowing at 2A.
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a subterranean greenhouse before! It really only ever gets down to 52! Wow! It does sound like an interesting idea but for the foreseeable future I don’t think that’ll be an option for me! Thanks for mentioning it though! A guy in zone 3 is growing orange trees? Wow! I thought I was pushing it here in zone 6a! You’ve just go to be impressed because he was smart enough to figure out how to grow stuff underground! Never would have thought of that myself! Yeah you’re right, your garage does sound like an ideal place! Nice!

Are you serious? Your neighbors did that! Holy crap! They dug 8 feet down? Woah! That does sound like a huge operation! It is hilarious to think of you seeing a bright light at 2am and seeing heads moving at ground level! I love it that you made you made a report and thought you had big bust coming! It’s so funny that after all that it was just that they are using their house for a church and growing “medicinal” plants as well! I bet you & your friends were just about dying laughing! God knows I am! How tricky that they must have done this while building an addition! Very convenient! Hey, at least you tried to turn in what you thought might have been illegal activities! I probably might have done the same thing! I did have a similar experience. This was a couple of years ago now but a house that’s a little further down my street was selling drugs out of this guy’s house. People thought it was odd that this 23 year old guy managed to buy the house in cash. Not only that but there was always a big moving trucks appearing after midnight or so dropping off “the goods”. They finally caught the bad guy and as far as I know he’s still in jail. Believe it or not my neighborhood is full of good & decent people. This was the one and only time we’ve ever had trouble! Just thought you’d think it was interesting! Thank for all the wonderful replies to me and yes even for the help!