Thread: New Banana Mom
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
LaBananaGwr2018

Zone: 9A/8B
BananaBucks : 1,286
Said "Thanks" 155 Times
Was Thanked 90 Times in 69 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 24 Times
Default Re: New Banana Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarostkaD View Post
Thanks! Glad they look healthy to you - it is so hard to tell. Winter plan is to redesign the sprinkler system to take better care of them. Someone mentioned chicken poo as a good fertlizer and I laughed but googled it and it seems true.

I have many questions and if someone has a good book or site to suggest, I welcome that. Among questions:

Can anyone tell what type they are (I will post that in the identify board too)?
Should I cut them back sometime soon?
Should I be weeding out the shooters and only allowing some?
We don't have many hard freezes here, but if we do, do I need to protect them at all?

Thanks for the welcome and sharing knowledge. We love this back yard and I want to maintain its beauty (meh - a few changes to the accompanying plants). We also want to actually taste our bananas someday!
Yard looks amazing and plants look great. Wish you the best of luck with your plants.
You're going to need to see what the fruit looks like before someone can try to tell you variety
Cutting pups(baby plants) is really up to you. How do you want your plants to look like.
I live in Baton Rouge and I mulch for multiple reasons: food, protection and retain water.
LaBananaGwr2018 is offline   Send A Private Message To LaBananaGwr2018
Said thanks:
Sponsors