View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 01:26 AM   #28 (permalink)
*Dearly Depotted*

Zone: 6A
Name: Mary
BananaBucks : 97,655
Said "Thanks" 607 Times
Was Thanked 442 Times in 301 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Talking Re: How to grow banana trees very tall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeash View Post
Good planting site preparation, soil amendments, sunlight, water, additional fertilizer and MULCH! I have my namwah patch heavily mulched, and constantly add layers of manure, kitchen scraps, leaves, grass.. you name it. With each new layer i put down more wood chips. I dont mulch right on the Pstem, but leave that area clear for a few inches to prevent rot. I also fertilize weekly with about a 1/2 cup of 13/13/13 per plant. I further add potassium sulphate every 2 weeks. I really feel that good soil, and tons of organic matter are the key.. sunlight and water cant do much without a good root system to uptake nutrients and moisture. Most of my namwah are 13ft of Pstem, all of that growth since March/April. I have many other varieties as well, but the namwah are planted in the best prepared bed in the yard. The others are about 6-8 feet at this point in the season.
Thanks so much for the info! I think I’m going to try doing some of those things myself next spring! I don’t think I’ve ever used much mulch at all. Nor have I tried to put kitchen scraps & stuff like that either on my plants! Great way to recycle as well! Sounds pretty interesting!

Wow! Your plants are that big already?! Amazing! Yeah, I’m definitely going to try your way for sure! I think I will have to go buy some 13-13-13 as well! Very excited for next year!