Thread: Banana Circles
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
twotallgirls

Zone: 10A
BananaBucks : 18,264
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 206 Times in 69 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: Banana Circles

Quick update on my banana circle experiment. Let’s call it what it really is: a big (successful) compost pit. So it really is amazing at how much yard stuff I’ve piled on and how fast they’ve broken down.… I keep it topped with as much garden “waste” as I can; a 4 ft. pile will drop in half in about a month. For the huge amount of stuff I’ve added, I may have only created about 6 inches of rich soil (and happy worms). I think my Raja Puri have benefited the most as they are downslope from where water flows thru pile… they grow fast, pop pups, and the bunches are big.

I was chopping banana leaves up in the beginning but in FL it breaks down so fast that I just toss it on now; too much work to cut up in summer heat. Same with banana logs; they break down very fast regardless. I attempted to turn it for aerobic purposes early on but too much work and no difference I could discern. Plus last time a big 5 ft. eastern indigo slithered out; I don’t want to disturb him as he’s a good garden companion.

I planned on adding sweet potatoes but I never got around to it with all the extra time / changes running a business under COVID required. Will try again in the spring. Actually, my Heliconia grow/spread so fast that they’ve invaded somewhat; I transplanted clumps to initially help anchor the soil and block unsightly pile from neighbors. I constantly cut them and add to the pile. When I tossed / covered some spiral ginger cuttings on the pile they promptly rooted; I now add them last to the pile so they dry out.

Researching banana circles on internet was fun but just about every article was how to create them and the wonderful benefits, but rarely what the actual results were (like to see year 2 or 3 please). My guess is after year 1, most are just compost piles with happy bananas plants around them.
I sense that the mat is expanding and will just take over eventually.

Happy growing!