View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
*Dearly Depotted*

Zone: 6A
Name: Mary
BananaBucks : 95,946
Said "Thanks" 607 Times
Was Thanked 442 Times in 301 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Can I use wood ash in soil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTT View Post
Here is a little info about charcoal and wood ash. As long as its not pine, most wood ash contains a decent amount of potassium, as well other minerals some not so good. Reason, is ash contains a good amount of bicarbonate which is highly alkaline. So too much wood ash can make the soil too alkaline. If it's too alkaline, certain minerals cannot be taken up by the plant, resulting in deficiencies and thus poor growth. What I discovered is that years back a patent was created because a man discovered that potassium in wood ash could be concentrated in water, since it's highly water soluble. So the solution to getting the benefits without getting the sodium bicarbonates is to soak the wood ash in water over night mixing it well. The good stuff will mix with the water, and the bicarbonates usually sink to the bottom. So pour off the liquid, and leave the stuff that does not mix. That liquid is really good for bananas since they need a good amount of potassium. You can use the ash directly, but bear in mind its effects on soil ph, and use sparingly.
Hey thanks! I really appreciate you explaining about how the wood ash works. Good to know about the soil ph as well. I honestly did not know all that! Who would’ve thought to add water to the wood ash! Never heard of that. Isn’t it funny how I would have thought by adding water it would ruin the ash! Very interesting! I am going to try that tomorrow!