View Single Post
Old 09-13-2020, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
AaronTT

Zone: 9B, 10
Name: Aaron
BananaBucks : 13,519
Said "Thanks" 232 Times
Was Thanked 332 Times in 167 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 46 Times
Default Aaron's Banana Tasting Sessions- Orinoco

I have decided to document my taste report of different bananas, and I hope to continue with many other varieties in the future. This will help others who are searching for different opinions on flavor.

So the banana up first is my most recent bunch, the classic Orinoco. This is the regular version. I have tried them several ways; cooked green and yellow, as well as ripe enough to eat out of hand. When they are green, they are very firm and have a potato like flavor and texture, with a slight difference. Those who love potatoes, but are allergic or sensitive to them(nightshade allergy/sensitivity) would really like this alternative. They are very firm, even when fully cooked, and thus would do well boiled. I enjoyed them at this stage.

When yellow and sweet, I fried them like Maduro plantains. I personally don't like the flavor, especially in comparison to a plantain. The flavor can be described like someone switched out its sweetness with artificial sweeteners, and its is quite pronounced. Perhaps prepared in another fashion I might like them. In my opinion they bombed at this stage.

Eaten out of hand, I noticed they taste better than they did fried. The artificial like flavor that I tasted in the fried cooked version is not there. It is very similar to a regular store banana, but in my opinion is subpar. I could not detect any flavor notes, that set it apart. The texture is different than a regular banana, as it seemed less mealy. My wife thought these tasted better than store bananas, so tastes do indeed differ.

Overall, I would give this one a 5 out of 10 for flavor, 9 out of 10 for ease of growth, and 6 out of 10 for ornamental use. This is a great banana to have, as it is very reliable and grows very easy. It can produce bananas reliably, and without having to put a lot of work into them. Here in Florida they are practically bullet proof.
AaronTT is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To AaronTT
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors