View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 1,039
Said "Thanks" 3,860 Times
Was Thanked 11,691 Times in 4,865 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Smile Re: Variegated Musa Indoors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeash View Post
So since the OP hasnt been back, ill chime in here! Im curious as to how you store your AEAE over the winter Mike? Do you leave them potted and just restrict watering? Ive seen some say to wash the soil from the corm and lay them down.. My AEAE might have 3-4 leaves by the time it gets too cool to keep growing outdoors here. Another option i considered was trying to continue its growth under a 1000W LED grow lamp. My main priority however, is to get it through to next spring, so i can get her in the ground. What would you suggest? Im in 9a, and the plant can be taken outside most days throughout the winter. Thanks Mike
Sounds like a good plan.
Your plant will have a 4x4 footprint which you will need to illuminate.
Every banana plant of mine is in containers and in a 65-72degree basement.
Usually they hold fairly well for the time they are down there.

For me once a plant fills the container with roots, the plant becomes pretty resilient to abuse.
I sometimes have issues with newly (30 days old) potted bananas because of the poor grow conditions indoors.
My cutoff for repotting is in early August to give the plant a chance to establish in a container.

They become difficult to keep indoors when they are above 7-13 feet high.
Small plants like many of the forum have gotten over the summer are the easiest to take care of.
They have a small lighting footprint and easy to manage.
Some of the fellas in the forum have been storing their plants barefoot for years with no issues.

The best info on grow type lighting is found on the many cannibis forums.
These indoor growers have great DIY ideas and a keen sense of gardening.
They are filled with links and reviews of grow products which are helpful to make a informed decision.
Some good takeaways can be found there.

You might just need supplemental lighting for those days indoors.

Maybe a couple higher wattage br30 led growbulbs in a DIY setup for one plant.
Thrift stores have lots of lamps and multi socket fixtures(bathroom light bars) to choose from which I have used in the past.