View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Graycat

BananaBucks : 3,421
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Letting Bananas Grow into Stand

I have been conflicted about information I have heard about maintaining banana mats. I have read you should be removing pups and not letting them compete with the mother plant.

I planted a Nam Wah in May that was about 5’ tall. It has since turned into one 9’ mother plant, 7’ pup, 5’ pup, and two other small swords. I hate digging into the root ball of my lovely thriving plant. I read that removing pups will increase yields and speed up fruiting. Then I see large mats allowed to grow into little groves that seem to have a perpetual yield of fruit. I like the idea of letting the mat become large and vigorous. Seems like the more stems (to the extent I can physically house them) gives the corm more energy to withstand adverse conditions. I keep them well fed and watered. I have deep mulch around them and also have a large mouldering compost pile (36” diameter pipe stood on end with lid that I fill with kitchen waste and compostables) immediately adjacent to the corm.

Just wanted to see what people on this forum thought. I think I will most likely leave them to grow into a small stand with at least 2-3 mature stems.

Thanks !

Last edited by Graycat : 08-27-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Graycat is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Graycat
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors