View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Akula

Zone: Zone 9a
BananaBucks : 70,169
Said "Thanks" 2,540 Times
Was Thanked 2,381 Times in 809 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 128 Times
Default Re: Question: Seperate pups or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeash View Post
On this subject, ive got about 4 months until my first possible frost date, i have allowed one follower on each of my plants to remain, but the namwahs continue to pup like crazy.. am i damaging my plants by continually removing the pups? Everytime i hear the shovel cut that corm i whince! My goal is fruit, so i dont want to leave all the pups or id have 100 plants in that mat! Is there another way to stop a pup from growing?
You can cut off the top portion of the pup to a little below the ground without risk of severing the roots of the main plant and then jam a long screwdriver into the center of the pup with the goal of gouging the growth point of the pup. After insertion rotate the screwdriver to ensure that you hit/kill the growth point.

Some people remove the top layer of the mulch and then spray with a hose to better identify the connection and the roots of the Mother plant.

Remove pups while they are still young and small with a small trowel/hand spade instead of a shovel or digging bar.

Good luck!
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Akula
Said thanks: