View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
sirdoofus

Zone: AgCan 7b, USDA 6b
Name: Mike
BananaBucks : 16,370
Said "Thanks" 3,129 Times
Was Thanked 1,157 Times in 592 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 98 Times
Default Re: Spacing 3 types of bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904 View Post
A number of things i read said planting bananas in groups helps them retain moisture and that they protect each other from the wind?

The article that said dont plant that close to other landscaping was implying that the other landscaping would take the water from the bananas....

hogwash?
I suppose it would depend on what your objectives are with your plants. I see contradictions in the above 2 sentences, but I suppose if you are a banana plantation where fruit at the expense of everything else was your primary objective, it could make sense. Full disclosure, I know very little about growing bananas for fruit and have absolutely no experience with it.

I am a big fan of inter-planting, mixed planting, companion planting, guilds, whatever you want to call it as I think, if thoughtfully done, it more closely matches what nature does (not that edible bananas are a natural phenomenon), can enhance the health of all plants along with the local ecosystem, and can be highly productive from a human use standpoint.

Hogwash? I certainly can't say that, however I don't think it is as simple as a one size fits all scenario.