View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

BananaBucks : 2,285
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Spacing 3 types of bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
Both.

Your winters are too cold so there is a freezing risk that needs to be mitigated by having a tough cold hardy varient, winter protection (lots about this on the site), or dry root storage in a basement.

Your summers day temps are pretty good but the night temps will mean slower growth. This just means that your plants will take longer to grow into mature size i.e. maybe three to four seasons vs. two seasons for me.

Cold, wet weather raises the risk of root rot so this will need to be addressed.

There are people that have banana plants in your zone and even colder zones so it can be done. Just takes more time, effort, and patience than tropical zones where the plants grow like weeds.
Got it. I checked a weather station up the street from me - the soil temp at 2in got down to 30 a couple of nights. It seems like the thick layer of mulch or garage storage would fix that. No?

So then the issue is keeping them A little bit warmer than our summer night time temps. I do have a south and west facing wall I can put them on. The wall would probably keep them a little warmer at night.

If the roots ain’t that long I could plant them on either of these walls. The south wall would be on a hill to help with drainage as well.

So it sounds like if I don’t kill the plant, I might get bananas in a longer time frame than expected.
904 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 904
Said thanks: