Thread: Spider Mites?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 11:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
sirdoofus

Zone: AgCan 7b, USDA 6b
Name: Mike
BananaBucks : 18,149
Said "Thanks" 3,158 Times
Was Thanked 1,193 Times in 605 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 98 Times
Default Re: Spider Mites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
How much/what type of soap? I'm a little more hesitant to use bleach than i am soap

EDIT: I suppose drenching the planting medium also means I should do this when they need to be watered, to prevent other issues such as rotting.
I use regular dish soap, the kind you might keep at your kitchen sink for washing dishes by hand. But I am sure any kind of mild liquid soap/shampoo would be fine.

I don't use a huge amount by any means, enough to get the water good and sudsy. All the soap does is break the surface tension ensuring the little buggers get soaked and drown, so I don't think it really takes very much. Although I do think it would be hard to overdo it.

For what its worth, I don't think a mild bleach solution is likely to be a problem either, but I would have to defer to others for a recommended concentration.

I do it when it needs to be done, as I don't want to give them any further opportunities to continue damaging the host plant or jump to other plants.

Last edited by sirdoofus : 07-28-2020 at 11:08 PM. Reason: correct water tension to surface tension
sirdoofus is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sirdoofus
Said thanks: