View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
jrtalley43

Zone: 5b/6a
BananaBucks : 5,190
Said "Thanks" 24 Times
Was Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Best strategy to overwinter immature basjoos

I've been scouring through the many posts about overwintering basjoos and am still unsure what route to take. I am a basjoo newb. Bought a couple cheap pups this spring online. When I got them they were very small, and freshly potted in a 4 " pot with very small roots. I also think they may have been water pups. (Didn't know about at the time)

I probably should have put them in a pot, but thinking they would really take off, I planted them near the edges of my patio, amended with some sandy topsoil from a local hardware store.

Needless to say, they have not grown at the rate I had hoped. About halfway through my growing season and 1 has 6 inches or so of pstem, the other one half that. I'm realizing they are not going to mature much this season. And in zone 5b/6a, winter is likely to be rough.

I'm thinking long term, I will have the best success moving them up against the south facing wall of the house for the best microclimate possible. With about 2.5 months of good to decent growing weather left, do I:
1. Transplant them near the house now so that they can put some roots down before winter? Or is it too late?
2. Dig them up soon and pot them, so that I can bring them inside this winter to: a) a sunny window or b) my cool, above freezing garage.
3. Dig them up at the end of the season and store in cool garage
4.Leave them where they're at, attempt to winterize in their current less ideal location, hope for the best, and move them in the spring(or plant new, better starter plants)

Experienced growers, what approach would you take?
jrtalley43 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jrtalley43
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors