Thread: Pomegranates
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 507,420
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Pomegranates

In case you missed it, Harvey has had some of us drooling over his Pomegranate trials he has started on his farm south of Davis, CA.

I suspect many of you are also growing pomegranates, maybe even unaware that there are newer varieties well-suited for not-so-hot-summer coastal areas, or the flavor-bursting varieties that have been imported from the Steppes of Central Asia (with apology to A. Borodin).

There is also a lot of hype about the health benefits of pomegranates and the juice. To put it in perspective, you get almost as much benefit from a glass of pomegranate juice as you would from a glass of real cranberry juice, but the pomegranate juice tastes better!

What kinds of Pomegranates are you growing, or what questions do you have for the pomegranate fanatics here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
Today I finished planting the remainder of my pomegranate trial, eight trees each of:

Wonderful, Parfianka, Sin Pepe, Gissarskii Rosovyi, Sirinevyi, Vkusnyi, Azadi, Medovyi Vahsha, Desertnyi, and Sakerdze. All of these except Wonderful and Sin Pepe came to the USA from Turkmenistan in the 1990s and are not widely grown. I also planted seedling trees of Mridula and Ganesh (from India) and Mollar (from Spain) and one tree budded to Cranberry, a tree of unknown origin.

It will be a small challenge at harvest time when these trees start producing as each tree of a particular cultivar are randomly located throughout the plot of 4 rows and 22 trees in each row (plus "guard trees" at the end which are not an official part of the trial). I'll process some of my photos and have them up on my pomegranate web site when I get a chance.

FYI, here are photos I took last October of many of the Turkmen cultivars:
Purely Pomegranates

Fruit size, etc. shown on these pages is not very meaningful because (1) these trees at the repository are not managed for fruit production and (2) this fruit was collected after much of the fruit was already picked.

Harvey

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors